Tip: Installing the ADT Plugin for Eclipse on Linux
I have been setting up and Android development environment on a new Linux install since my Windows PC crashed on me a few days ago. Today while trying to install the ADT plugin for Eclipse(I installed Eclipse directly from the Ubuntu Software Installer), I kept getting this error
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found. Software being installed: Android Development Tools 15.0.1.v201111031820-219398 (com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group 15.0.1.v201111031820-219398) Missing requirement: Android Development Tools 15.0.1.v201111031820-219398 (com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group 15.0.1.v201111031820-219398) requires 'org.eclipse.wst.sse.core 0.0.0' but it could not be found
After a few searches, I finally found the solution. To fix the error you need to add a new update site to Eclipse (Help -> Install New Software… -> Add) and paste in the URL below. Once you have added this update site you should be able to install the ADT plugin without any issues.
ADT Installation instructions (From the Android SDK Documentation)
Downloading the ADT Plugin
Use the Update Manager feature of your Eclipse installation to install the latest revision of ADT on your development computer.<>
Assuming that you have a compatible version of the Eclipse IDE installed, as described in Preparing for Installation, above, follow these steps to download the ADT plugin and install it in your Eclipse environment.
- Start Eclipse, then select Help > Install New Software….
- Click Add, in the top-right corner.
- In the Add Repository dialog that appears, enter "ADT Plugin" for the Name and the following URL for the Location:
- Click OK
Note: If you have trouble acquiring the plugin, try using "http" in the Location URL, instead of "https" (https is preferred for security reasons).
- In the Available Software dialog, select the checkbox next to Developer Tools and click Next.
- In the next window, you'll see a list of the tools to be downloaded. Click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreements, then click Finish.
Note: If you get a security warning saying that the authenticity or validity of the software can't be established, click OK.
- When the installation completes, restart Eclipse.
Configuring the ADT Plugin
After you've successfully downloaded the ADT as described above, the next step is to modify your ADT preferences in Eclipse to point to the Android SDK directory:
You may see a dialog asking whether you want to send usage statistics to Google. If so, make your choice and click Proceed. You cannot continue with this procedure until you click Proceed.
- Select Window > Preferences… to open the Preferences panel (Mac OS X: Eclipse > Preferences).
- Select Android from the left panel.
- For the SDK Location in the main panel, click Browse… and locate your downloaded SDK directory.
- Click Apply, then OK.
Done! If you haven't encountered any problems, then the installation is complete. If you're installing the Android SDK for the first time, return to Installing the SDK to complete your setup.